Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Assignment #1 The Interview




Assignment #1                      

Artist Interview 2-3 pages

This exercise will require you to identify a jewelry artist or designer that you find inspirational and are working in ways that interest you. 

You will be required to contact an artist and interview them about their current practice. This will ideally be done using Skype, although phone and email can also be part of it. 

During class, you will make a short 10-minute presentation about your chosen artist and describe to the class what you learned. You will also hand in a written transcript of your conversation and a 1-page reflection summary.

If you would like to go on location to do your interview you may submit a short video. You should only do this if you feel that you and your artist are comfortable with this format.  You will also need to be familiar with editing software. 





Here are a few tips when conducting your interview
First, do your research. I have found that even the most planned interviews (think typed list of organized questions, lots of time, quiet interview location) have a peculiar way of going awry. It’s good to have a framework to base your questions on, but understand that the natural course of conversation, and small bits of information the artist brings up, may lead to better or deeper conversation on the topic. This is why a broad understanding of the artist’s work is helpful. Also, what is the scholarly basis for the exhibition or work for which you are gathering material? This may sound elementary, but you don’t want to base your line of questions around an artist’s use of materials when the curator is expounding on spiritual influences in the show.

Know your audience- and your interviewee. Who are you interviewing? Who will watch the resulting video? A famed scholar or author will require a different form of questioning than an emerging artist. Likewise, the resulting videos will have different audiences. Determining who it is that you are working with, and for whom, will lead to a stronger outcome.

Be respectful, but ask the hard questions. This makes me feel like I’m trying to be Oprah. However, I think it can be easy to ask surface questions or let the interviewee gloss over something which is vital to the understanding of their point of view. By understanding who the audience is, I can re-frame questions when I feel that the artist is simplifying or missing a key point. Following the thread of what the artist is saying is how to get the richest, most meaningful content.

Make it a conversation. Very little to none of my face or voice ends up in the final product, however, having a lively or engaged discussion with an artist results in better, more useful or dynamic footage. The person being interviewed may be uncomfortable, so creating a relaxed environment where they can feel comfortable to think about what they would like to say or pause for a breath is key. A sense of humor goes a long way.

Make steady eye contact, smile, but don’t be creepy, and don’t make any noise. This is harder than it sounds. I have found that I am an automatic “mhmmmm”-er. I had to work very hard to stop these conversational soothers. I have replaced this with ardent, almost nonstop, nodding (I only occasionally notice I am doing it!) Again, I try to not look too crazy. I think this is my unspoken cue to my interviewee that I am keenly listening to what they are saying.

Speaking of- Listen! This can be especially hard in an uncomfortable situation; my mind tends to race ahead to the next question when I am nervous. However, this is the most important part of being the interviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment